Bicycling In Traffic: Your Rights & Responsibilities
In many bicycle accidents, it is not immediately clear who is at fault. This can be frustrating for both the victim and the insurance companies involved. However, there are some factors that can help determine who is at fault in a bicycle accident.
Some of the most common factors that contribute to bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are not paying attention to the road are more likely to cause an accident. Distracted driving includes activities such as talking on the phone, texting, eating, and applying makeup.
- Speeding: Driving too fast for conditions increases the chance of an accident. This is especially true if the driver is speeding in an area with pedestrians or cyclists.
- Driving under the influence: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to cause an accident.
- Reckless driving: Drivers who engage in reckless behaviors, such as tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic, are more likely to cause an accident.
- Poor road conditions: Poorly maintained roads can be a factor in bicycle accidents. Potholes, debris, and other hazards can increase the chance of an accident.
Cyclist Responsibilities & Rights
When bicycle riders are sharing the road with cars, it is important to know your rights and responsibilities. Unfortunately, many bicycle accidents occur because drivers and cyclists do not understand or respect the rights of each other.
As a cyclist, you have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. This means that you must obey traffic laws and yield to pedestrians. You should also ride in the direction of traffic and use hand signals to indicate when you are turning.
While cyclists have the same rights as motorists, they are also more vulnerable in an accident. This is why it is important to wear a helmet and visible clothing when riding. You should also be aware of your surroundings and avoid riding in areas with high traffic or poor visibility.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, it is important to speak with our experienced Weslaco bicycle accident attorney to determine who is at fault. The Lopez Law Group can help you investigate the circumstances of the accident and gather evidence to support your claim. Contact us today at for a free consultation.