Although it only takes a second for a car accident to occur on McAllen’s busy roadways, a serious collision can result in life-altering injuries and suffering. When you’re already dealing with such physical pain and emotional distress, the added burden of paying medical expenses and communicating with insurance companies can feel overwhelming. In the face of these challenges, it’s critical to have a trusted local ally that can help you work toward justice and healing.
What Damages Can I Seek in a McAllen Car Accident Case?
The aftermath of a serious car accident can result in overwhelming financial stress, especially if you are left unable to work. If you’ve been the victim of an accident caused by a negligent driver, covering the costs of your medical treatment and other damages should never fall on your shoulders. A McAllen car accident attorney will fight to ensure that your rights are protected, helping you recover the damages you need to care for yourself and your loved ones.
There are several types of compensation you may be entitled to recover in your car accident claim, and calculating the total of your incurred damages is the best way to understand what your case may be worth. The types of damage you may be able to recover include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Vehicle damage
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost income and earning capacity from the inability to work
- Physical pain
- Mental and emotional pain
- Physical impairment or permanent disability
- Diminished quality of life
The amount of a car accident settlement depends primarily upon the severity of the collision. Some victims may walk away from a crash relatively uninjured and make the mistake of assuming they’re okay, due to a lack of visible injuries.
Some injuries — especially those related to head trauma — may take time to appear, and some seemingly minor injuries may worsen over time. Both of these situations could significantly affect the course of your case, and therefore your settlement. That’s why it’s crucial to refrain from discussing your injuries with the at-fault party or any insurance companies until after you’ve seen a doctor.
What Happens in a McAllen Car Accident Lawsuit?
When you’ve been a victim of a car accident, you’re entitled to seek compensation through a personal injury claim in order to reimburse you for your medical expense, damages, and lost wages. Because each car accident is different, every victim who files a lawsuit experiences a different legal process. Some cases may be easily and quickly resolved, while others necessitate going to court in order to reach a fair settlement.
The steps involved in a car accident lawsuit include:
- Sending a demand letter. In an effort to avoid an unnecessary trial, your attorney may attempt to reach out to the defendant’s insurance company for compensation before formally filing a lawsuit. A demand letter will demonstrate the facts and circumstances of the accident, as well as your resulting medical bills, to seek the compensation necessary on your behalf.
- Building your case. If the insurance company refuses to pay compensation after receiving the demand letter, you’ll need to file an official lawsuit. This will involve gathering medical records, bills, correspondence between you and your doctors to establish the foundation of your case.
- Filing an official lawsuit. This step occurs when your car accident lawyer formally files your case in court. It will then be sent to the defendant, who will have a specific number of days to respond.
- Moving into the discovery phase. The “discovery phase” of litigation occurs when both parties exchange information in order to build the case on both sides. This will include medical records, hospital bills, and depositions in order to prove the defendant’s responsibility in your accident.
- Negotiating a settlement. Here, your McAllen car accident lawyer will request that the defendant pay the amount of compensation you are entitled to. If the case does not reach a settlement, the lawsuit will then move on to a trial, where the outcome of the case will be decided in court.
How Long Do I Have to File a McAllen Car Accident Claim?
Taking care of your physical and mental health is always the first priority after an accident. However, it’s also important to be aware of the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against the responsible party or parties. In Texas, you have up to two years after the date of your accident to file a car accident lawsuit, so it’s advisable to begin the process as soon as you’re physically and mentally able.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer for Your McAllen Car Accident
The first step of a car accident claim is dealing with the defendant’s insurance company. Unfortunately, insurance companies go to great lengths to settle claims for less than victims deserve — especially when it comes to pain and suffering. But when you’ve been through such a traumatic experience as a serious car crash, you don’t need the added stress of trying to negotiate with misleading insurance companies. Instead, the most important thing for you to do is focus on your recovery.
When you partner with a trusted local car accident attorney, you’ve got an expert in your corner who knows how to deal with the insurance company and challenge their unfair practices. An experienced legal advisor will work tirelessly to ensure that all current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages are considered in order to secure the financial compensation you deserve.
How The Lopez Law Group Can Help
We know that choosing a law firm to handle your case is a deeply personal process. Here at The Lopez Law Group, we fully dedicate ourselves to your car accident accident case so that together we can develop a strategy to maximize your recovery.
Our McAllen car accident lawyers understand that you’re facing one of the toughest challenges of your life. That’s why we work tirelessly on your behalf to seek the money damages that you require so that you can focus on your healing. We have a proven track record of success in helping people with serious injuries from auto accidents, and we will fight for maximum compensation for you.
Contact us today for a free consultation, and we’ll help you decide the next best steps in your case.