If you were involved in a personal injury accident, you’re left dealing with the physical pain and suffering of serious injuries in addition to the emotional trauma of the accident. When you factor in the additional burden of dealing with medical bills and insurance companies, it can all feel downright overwhelming.
Working with a top McAllen personal injury lawyer during this difficult time will give you the benefit of experienced legal counsel and compassionate support when you need it most. An attorney will negotiate your insurance claim, arrange medical treatments, and alleviate your financial burden by ensuring that the at-fault party is held financially accountable.
Keep reading to find out why a personal injury attorney is a valuable ally in your case — and how they can help you work toward healing.
What Happens in a McAllen Car Accident Lawsuit?
Each and every personal injury case is unique, from the type of accident and the severity of the injury to the settlement amount and legal process. However, there are some common litigation milestones you can expect once you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit, including:
- Sending a demand letter. A trial can be a long and complicated affair, and most parties would rather avoid it if possible. That’s why your McAllen personal injury attorney will reach out to the at-fault party’s insurance company for compensation before formally filing a lawsuit. This demand letter will explain why the defendant is responsible for your injury and how much compensation will be needed as a result.
- Building the case. If the defendant’s insurance company refuses to pay compensation after receiving the demand letter, or if you and your lawyer decide not to file one, you’ll move to the step of filing an official lawsuit. This will require gathering medical records, bills, and correspondence between you and your doctor, among other parties, to establish the basic facts and build the foundation of your case.
- Filing a lawsuit. At this stage of litigation, your lawyer will file the case in the designated court of law. It will be sent to the defendant, who will have a specific number of days to respond.
- Entering the discovery period. This phase of litigation occurs when you and the defendant exchange information in order to build the case on both sides, including:
- Medical records that specify the harm sustained
- Hospital bills and other expense reports
- Testimonials from both parties
- Other relevant evidence
- Negotiating a settlement. After you and the defendant have both prepared your cases, your McAllen personal injury lawyer will request that the defendant pay the amount of compensation to which you are entitled. If a settlement is reached, neither side is declared a winner but the defendant agrees to pay compensation for your damages. If the case does not reach a settlement, the lawsuit will then move on to a trial, where it will be decided by the court.
What Damages Can I Seek in a McAllen Personal Injury Accident?
When personal injury lawyers use the term “damages,” they’re referring to the collective losses, expenses, hardships, and suffering a victim has experienced as a result of the personal injury accident. Most commonly, there are two types of damages that are eligible for compensation under personal injury law — economic and non-economic. Calculating the total of these damages is the best way to understand what your case may be worth.
This type of loss is often referred to as “monetary damages” or “special damages” because it has a clear and provable financial value. Some examples include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Vehicle damage
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost income and earning capacity from the inability to work
- Property or vehicle damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
Often referred to as “general damages” or “psychological damages,” non-economic damages are losses that don’t have a clear and provable monetary value. This makes it more difficult to show evidence for non-economic damages, since they are not reflected in medical bills or other proven forms of expense. Examples include:
- Physical pain
- Mental and emotional suffering
- Physical impairment or permanent disability
- Diminished quality of life
- Disability or disfigurement
- Depression, stress, anxiety, and fear
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer for Your McAllen Personal Injury Case
The first step of a personal injury claim is dealing with the defendant’s insurance company. However, it’s important to remember that insurance adjusters are working for companies whose main goal is to pay you as little as possible for your claim, because less compensation for you means more profit for the insurance company.
When you partner with a trusted McAllen personal injury lawyer, you have an expert in your corner who knows how to deal with the insurance company and challenge their unfair practices. An experienced legal advisor will work tirelessly to ensure that all current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages are considered in order to secure the financial compensation you deserve.
Even if you choose not to hire a personal injury lawyer, spending some time talking to one about the details of your case will help you understand your rights and develop the best strategy possible.
How The Lopez Law Group Can Help
Choosing an attorney to handle your personal injury case is a deeply personal process. Here at The Lopez Law Group, we’re fully committed to your case, advocating for your rights when you need it most. We have a proven track record of success in helping people with serious personal injuries, and we’ll fight tirelessly to achieve the outcome that you deserve.
We’re sincere in our efforts in helping you build the strongest case possible. That’s why we invite you to meet with us and discuss your case completely free of charge. Contact us today for a free consultation, and we’ll help you rebuild your path to recovery.